Desktop Display, Email, Social
- Headline:Publisher: MyPlainview.com: Local news you can't get anywhere else!
- Self / Managed Service:Managed Service
- IndustriesConsumer Packaged Goods, Education, Entertainment, Government & Politics, Sports
- Key DifferentiatorA century of publishing began 100 years ago in Plainview, when D.B. Hill and John Davidson cranked up their small flatbed press to turn out the very first edition of the weekly Hale County Hesperian. Although the exact date has been lost in history, that first edition came off the press in October 1889, three scant years after neighbors Z.T. Maxwell and C.L. Lowe decided to form a town centered around their hoes in a grove of hackberries along the Running Water Draw and just a year after residents of the infant community named Plainview organized Hale County and voted their town the county seat. Through the years, both the town and the newspaper have proposed with the publication chronicling the day-to-day goings-on of the community and its citizens through both the good times and bad. SOON AFTER the Hale County Hesperian began publishing one of its founders, D.B. Hill, sold his interest to partner Davidson who, in turn, quickly sold the paper to R.F. Cates. He, in turn, traded the paper to J.M. Shafer in June 1891 for a wagon and team. Shafer dropped the Hesperian title in favor of The Hale County Herald — a name in one form or another that has appeared on the newspaper’s banner for the past 97 years. Shafer published The Herald until 1911, with his son, Tom Shafer, serving as editor from 1904-11. The elder Shafer then sold the newspaper to Buford O. Brown, his brother Ben Brown (a dentist) and J.E. Willis (a druggist). In 1913, about a year after E.B. Miller first acquired a part interest in the newspaper from its owners, he and H.S. Hilburn teamed up to operate The Herald under the name of the Herald Publishing Co. Miller and Hilburn continued to operate the paper as a semi-weekly, which it became in 1912. That year, 1913, was a banner one for local newspapers with a weekly, semi-weekly and two dailies in operation. The weekly Plainview News began publishing in 1890. It and The Herald later combined, serving as the roots for The Plainview Daily Herald’s family tree. RESPONDING TO the growing competition in the local newspaper field, The Herald Publishing Co. established its own daily newspaper in January 1913 while continuing to print its semi-weekly edition. The initial Plainview Daily Herald, which served a community of between 4,000 and 5,000 with both Associated Press and United Press services, continued publishing for about six months before it and the semi-weekly edition were combined into a paper printed three times a week. The publication went back to a twice-weekly edition during 1914. Fifteen years later, in 1929, The Plainview Daily Herald was reborn when The Herald was combined with the Plainview News. Forerunner of The News was The Texan Press, founded in 1890 by J.W. Winford Hunt and published at Estacado (in northeastern Lubbock County along the Crosby Line) to serve both Lubbock and Hale Counties. Another Estacado newspaper, the Lubbock Leader, was established in 1891 by Leslie Maupin. The two papers consolidated the following year, establishing The Texas Press-Leader. It, in turn became The Plainview News in 1905, and was published by C.M. Shuffler and his son, Ralph, from 1906-07, when it was sold J.C. Edwards and W.A. Parker. JESSE M. ADAMS purchased the paper in 1911, later converting it to a semi-weekly. Adams temporarily turned the paper over to his son-in-law, E.Q. Perry, when Adams began a planned around-the-world trip on Jan. 1, 1925. However, Adams became ill in India, suffered a relapse in the Holy Land and died in Toulon, France on May 10, 1925. Perry continued to edit The News until it consolidated with The Herald in 1929. One of the three partners, E.B. Miller, died in 1955, and Hilburn, Perry and Jim Oswald, who after Miller’s death purchased his stock, continued to operate the daily until it was sold to Allison Communications Inc., in 1965. The newspaper was purchased from the Allison Family by The Hearst Corporation in January 1979. The Daily Herald and its predecessor, the old Hale County Herald, published at the northwest corner of Eight and Broadway for 69 of its first 97 years, moving there in 1906. The original building burned in 1909 and Shafer had a new building constructed on the site. In the early ‘20s the building was modified and enlarged. In the ‘50s the front offices were remodeled. The newspaper moved across the street, to 820 Broadway (previously White’s Furniture and a Piggly Wiggly Supermarket which had been destroyed by fire years earlier) in 1975 with the first edition coming off its new offset press on Oct. 14, 1975. UPON PURCHASE of The Herald by Allison Communications, Inc., James N. Allison Sr. of Midland became publisher. Allison who also published the Midland Reporter-Telegram, died in 1975. He was replaced by his son, Jim Allison Jr., as president and publisher of both newspapers. The younger Allison died in 1978. The next year both newspapers were acquired by The Hearst Corporation. Jim Oswald, was named Herald business manager in 1965 and general manager in 1974. Upon his retirement in 1979, James Thomas was named general manager and was promoted to publisher in 1981. Danny Andrews, current managing editor, assumed the post in 1978 when Editor Jim Servatius was named associate editor of the Midland newspaper, later becoming editor. A new branch was added to The Herald family less than a year ago, when South Plains Plus was born. With its inaugural edition on Sept. 14, 1988, the weekly publication more than tripled The Herald’s readership. South Plains, which contains selected features and articles from The Herald, is distributed to non-subscribers with The Herald’s six-county circulation are: Briscoe, Castro, Floyd, Hale, Lamb and Swisher.
- Owned / Operated Propertiesmyplainview.com, plainviewdailyherald.com
CONTACT INFO & EMAIL
- 625662 Global Rank
- 147585 United States
- 68.2k Estimated Visits
Email / Social Data