What is the Daily Egyptian?
The DE is the student-run newspaper for the SIUC community, serving the campus since 1916.
Who makes up the SIUC community?
Carbondale, Ill., is made up of 25,902 residents, with nearly 18,000 students attending Southern Illinois University. In addition, more than 1,200 faculty and staff members work and live in the SIUC community.
When is the DE published?
The Daily Egyptian is published four days a week during the fall and spring semesters, and two days a week in the summer semester. Click to Publication Schedule for exact and current information. Also, special publications such as our annual Back-To-Campus and Career Fair Editions are distributed throughout the year.
Who reads the Daily Egyptian?
About 7800 copies of the Daily Egyptian are freely distributed at nearly 200 locations across campus, throughout Carbondale, and other surrounding communities. Research shows that 99 percent of SIUC students, almost 75 percent of faculty and staff, and 50 percent of the Carbondale community read the DE at least once a week*. Thousands more read the Daily Egyptian every day online. 97% of college newspaper readership have read the print version while 47% have read the online version. 68% of readers read the entire issue. On average, readers spend 14 minutes reading the print edition. 86% of college newspaper readers use coupons.
Who works at the DE?
Nearly 80 SIUC students work as editors, reporters, photographers, page designers, graphic artists, advertising sales representatives, production technicians and circulation drivers. Five professional staff members work as advisers and department managers.
How is the DE supported?
The newspaper’s only source of revenue is through advertising. As of this writing, the university does not provide any funding for the production of the newspaper, only facilities. All computers, newsprint, supplies and salaries are paid for through advertising revenue. (Update: “Student government passes publication fee” – support expected start sometime in 2014.)
Who determines what is going in the paper?
The student editors have sole control over the content of the paper. Students make all the assignments, do all the reporting, editing, photography and design, and make all decisions determining if and when a story will run.
What awards has the DE won?
Several! The Daily Egyptian has won awards from the Illinois College Press Association and was the recipient of the National Newspaper Pacemaker for General Excellence, the nation’s most prestigious award.
*According to research conducted by Five Star Consulting, Fall 2001.
DID YOU KNOW?
The Daily Egyptian has the second largest circulation of any newspaper in southern Illinois, and the most of any college newspaper in the state.
The Daily Egyptian is one of only nine college newspapers in the nation that owns and operates its own printing press.
Gus Bode has been appearing in the DE paper since 1956, commenting daily on the news from the average student’s perspective.
EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA:
Sincerest flattery in the Student Center, 1980.
- Company Name:Daily Egyptian
Desktop Display, Social, Desktop Video
- Headline:The student news site of Southern Illinois University87
- Self / Managed Service:Managed Service
- Key DifferentiatorAll advertising submitted to the Daily Egyptian is subject to approval and may be revised, rejected, or cancelled at any time. If an advertisement copy reaches the Daily Egyptian after deadline, and the advertising manager agrees to print late copy, the advertiser agrees to print late copy, the advertiser waives the right to receive a proof. Color requests cannot be guaranteed. There is guaranteed placement available for a 20% fee. The Daily Egyptian shall not be liable for slight changes or typographical errors that do not lessen the value of the advertisement unless the Daily Egyptian received corrected copy before the proof deadline with corrections. Responsibility of errors shall be limited to the cost of that portion of space occupied by erroneous content. The Daily Egyptian is only responsible for the first insertion. Advertisements that are requested by the advertiser to be inserted upside down or sideways in the Daily Egyptian will be charged twice the appropriate column inch rate and must include a disclaimer. The advertiser, and if applicable, the advertising agency, assume all liability for al content (including text and illustration text). The advertiser, and if applicable, the advertising agency, also assume responsibility for any claims made against the Daily Egyptian arising from the publication of the advertisement. Submitting an advertising order to the Daily Egyptian signifies agreement to this policy. A sample of all mail-order items must be submitted and approved prior to deadline for the publication. The Daily Egyptian may not accept advertisements that promote lotteries according to federal postal regulation. Payment in advance is required for all political advertisements. The advertiser is responsible for obtaining photo releases from any persons whose pictures appear in the advertisement. The Daily Egyptian reserves the right to insert in any political, partisan, or issue-based advertisement the words, “Paid for by (advertiser’s name)”. The Daily Egyptian reserves the right to add “Paid Advertisement” to any advertisement. All scheduled advertisement cancelled after the day of reservation is subject to a charge equal to the cost of the advertisement. The Daily Egyptian reserves the right to sell promotional advertising packages at special rates. The Daily Egyptian reserves the right to revise its advertising rates and conditions set forth on this rate card at any time upon thirty (30) days written notice. A service charge of $25.00 will be added to the advertiser’s account for every check returned to the Daily Egyptian unpaid by the advertiser’s bank. The Daly Egyptian is not responsible for lost or stolen artwork.
- Owned / Operated Propertiesdailyegyptian.com
- 820386 Global Rank
- 197730 United States
- 77.3k Estimated Visits
Advertising on Daily Egyptian will allow you to reach consumers in industries or verticals such as Sports.
They are headquartered at Carbondale, Illinois, and have 4 advertising & marketing contacts listed on Thalamus. According to their Ads.txt, Daily Egyptian inventory partners include: openx.com.